NOTE

Sunday, January 26, 2014

X-MEN COLLECTED EDITIONS

I have a goal. It's a multi-tiered goal and it's not a simple one, since I really have no way to affect its outcome myself, but it's somehow getting dangerously close to completion anyway. I want to have, on my bookcases, every issue of UNCANNY X-MEN and X-MEN in collected editions, in color, from UNCANNY #94 through UNCANNY #350 (the end of Scott Lobdell's run as writer). That's well over 300 comics, especially if you include the associated annuals, specials, and crossover chapters.

And yet, here we are. As of right now, the below lists show all issues of both titles, up to UNCANNY #350, which have been collected and/or solicited. It's pretty remarkable:

UNCANNY X-MEN
Issue
Numbers
CollectionFormat
==================== THE CHRIS CLAREMONT ERA ====================
94 - 131UNCANNY X-MEN OMNIBUS, vol. 1Hardcover
132 - 153UNCANNY X-MEN OMNIBUS, vol. 2Hardcover
154 - 167UNCANNY X-MEN MASTERWORKS vol. 7 - 8Hardcover
168 - 176X-MEN: FROM THE ASHESPaperback*
177 - 198UNCOLLECTEDN/A
199 - 209X-MEN: GHOSTSPaperback
210 - 214X-MEN: MUTANT MASSACREHardcover
215 - 219UNCOLLECTEDN/A
220 - 227X-MEN: FALL OF THE MUTANTSHardcover
228 - 234UNCOLLECTEDN/A
235 - 238X-MEN: X-TINCTION AGENDAHardcover
239 - 243X-MEN: INFERNOHardcover
244 - 269X-MEN BY CLAREMONT & LEE OMNIBUS, vol. 1Hardcover
270 - 272X-MEN: X-TINCTION AGENDAHardcover
273 - 280X-MEN BY CLAREMONT & LEE OMNIBUS, vol. 2Hardcover
=============== THE SCOTT LOBDELL/FABIAN NICIEZA ERA ===============
281 - 293X-MEN: BISHOP'S CROSSINGHardcover
294 - 297X-MEN: X-CUTIONER'S SONGHardcover
298 - 305X-MEN: FATAL ATTRACTIONSHardcover
306X-MEN: PHALANX COVENANTHardcover
307X-MEN/AVENGERS: BLOODTIESHardcover
308 - 310X-MEN: THE WEDDING OF CYCLOPS & PHOENIXPaperback
311 - 314X-MEN: PHALANX COVENANTHardcover
315X-MEN: FATAL ATTRACTIONSPaperback
316 - 317X-MEN: PHALANX COVENANTHardcover
318GENERATION X CLASSIC, vol. 1Paperback
319X-MEN: AGE OF APOCALYPSE PRELUDEPaperback
320 - 321X-MEN: AGE OF APOCALYPSE OMNIBUSHardcover
322 - 326X-MEN: THE ROAD TO ONSLAUGHT, vol. 1Paperback
327 - 328X-MEN: THE ROAD TO ONSLAUGHT, vol. 2Paperback
329 - 332UNCOLLECTEDN/A
333X-MEN: ONSLAUGHT PROLOGUEPaperback
334 - 337X-MEN: THE COMPLETE ONSLAUGHT EPIC, vol. 1 - 5Paperback
338 - 345UNCOLLECTEDN/A
346X-MEN: OPERATION ZERO TOLERANCEHardcover
347 - 350UNCOLLECTEDN/A
*Long out of print

X-MEN
Issue
Numbers
CollectionFormat
=============== THE SCOTT LOBDELL/FABIAN NICIEZA ERA ===============
1 - 11X-MEN BY CLAREMONT & LEE OMNIBUS, vol. 2Hardcover
12 - 13X-MEN: BISHOP'S CROSSINGHardcover
14 - 16X-MEN: X-CUTIONER'S SONGHardcover
17 - 24X-MEN: A SKINNING OF SOULSPaperback
25X-MEN: FATAL ATTRACTIONSHardcover
26AVENGERS/X-MEN: BLOODTIESHardcover
27 - 30X-MEN: THE WEDDING OF CYCLOPS & PHOENIXPaperback
31 - 35UNCOLLECTEDN/A
36 - 37X-MEN: PHALANX COVENANTHardcover
38 - 39X-MEN: AGE OF APOCALYPSE PRELUDEPaperback
40 - 41X-MEN: AGE OF APOCALYPSE OMNIBUSHardcover
42 - 45X-MEN: THE ROAD TO ONSLAUGHT, vol. 1Paperback
46 - 49X-MEN: THE ROAD TO ONSLAUGHT, vol. 2Paperback
50X-MEN: ONSLAUGHT PROLOGUEPaperback
51 - 52UNCOLLECTEDN/A
53 - 57X-MEN: THE COMPLETE ONSLAUGHT EPIC, vol. 1 - 5Paperback
58 - 64UNCOLLECTEDN/A
65 - 69X-MEN: OPERATION ZERO TOLERANCEHardcover


For the record, every issue of UNCANNY X-MEN prior to #94 is collected as well, in full color in both hardcover and paperback format. Also, I should note that some of the above issues are reprinted in more than one format (there are hardcovers and paperbacks for MUTANT MASSACRE, FALL OF THE MUTANTS, and one or two more). But the above are my preferred volumes for this material (meaning they're the books I actually own or intend to own if they haven't been released yet).

And while the majority of these volumes are in my library, the ones listed in faded gray, relating to the "Onslaught" event, are not. I want those issues on my shelf along with everything else, but I'm holding out for an ONSLAUGHT OMNIBUS, which, considering that every other X-Men crossover from the nineties has been collected in the oversized hardcover format, does not seem like an unreasonable expectation. Plus, with the recent solicitations of X-MEN: THE ROAD TO ONSLAUGHT volumes 1 and 2, it seems reasonable to expect that the full year between "Age of Apocalypse" and "Onslaught" will soon be collected as well.

I honestly can't believe Marvel is so close to accomplishing this. The UNCANNY run is very nearly complete, with the only major holes being the Claremont/Romita Jr. issues and the Lobdell/Madureira era, which one would assume have to be fully collected someday. The full collection of anything from the Claremont era seems a given, and since Joe Madureira is considered a superstar artist these days, a complete archive of his early work strikes me as extremely likely as well.


The holes in X-MEN are larger, but at the rate Marvel has been going, I would be quite surprised to see them never collected. The missing issues feature art by Andy Kubert and Carlos Pacheco, two very popular artists.

(Yes, I'm speculating about collections based primarily on the strength of the art. I like most of the X-Men stories from the nineties, but I fully recognize that not everyone feels that way.)

As Marvel gets closer to giving me my ultimate X-Men collection, I find my thoughts drifting beyond the Lobdell era. Way back at the beginning of this post, I said that my goal is multi-tiered. The second tier is to see every issue of UNCANNY and X-MEN collected through to the end of the nineties (and a ways into 2000). That would include the runs which followed Lobdell: Joe Kelly & Steve Seagle, Alan Davis, Chris Claremont round 2, and a brief return engagement by Lobdell. It would take us up through UNCANNY #373 and X-MEN #113, which as we all know were the end of the X-Men franchise. I'm pretty sure Marvel never published another X-Men comic following the conclusion of the "Eve of Destruction" crossover, right?

Chunks of these issues are collected as well, especially the Davis run, but the holes are larger. Still, I can't imagine that Marvel wouldn't at the very least collect Davis's material in full. Kelly/Seagle was popular at the time (I think), so I have hope we could see it someday too. Claremont's return was -- to put it mildly -- not good. But it's the bridge between Davis and Lobdell's return, so I'd like to have it for that reason, at least. And Lobdell closed the book on "my" X-Men, so his work should be on my shelf as well.

But those last issues are for future concerns. Right now I'm busy being elated at the progress Marvel has made toward the first part of my goal. One step at a time, we're getting closer to a definitive collection of all the good X-Men comics...

16 comments:

  1. Very helpful breakdown! Thanks for posting.

    In case you haven't heard yet, Marvel has recently announced a new HC Omnibus edition - "X-Men: Inferno Prologue" which will include Uncanny X-Men 228-238 and Annual 12, as well as a number of X-Factor and New Mutants issues. Full details here:

    http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Inferno-Prologue-Louise-Simonson/dp/0785192735

    Streets December 16, 2014 in case you wanted to update your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J.J. As a matter of fact, I just posted about that book the other day, and I've updated the above chart to be a permanent page, right here. Check it out, if you haven't already!

      Delete
  2. Hi, what about Essential X-Men. I think there are like more than 10 volumes and it has every Uncanny X-Men number until Muir Island Saga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luis, thanks for reading!

      Yes, I'm aware of the ESSENTIAL X-MEN series, but the above listings are specifically for color reprints. As you note, ESSENTIAL X-MEN plus ESSENTIAL UNCANNY X-MEN collect pretty much everything from UNCANNY #1 all the way up through to the end of Chris Claremont's run on the series, including X-MEN 1 - 3.

      Delete
    2. Hi Matt, thanks for answering.

      I've just decided to collect most of the X-Men Sagas, but I have just a little idea about it, so I was looking for it. Which of them have been published and in what format, and I found out about Omnibus and Essential, but I have no idea whats the difference between them when you say color reprints. Could you explain me please?

      There is a lot of difference in prices between Hardcover and paperback, and I already got some paperbacks like Mutant Massacre and Days of Future Past. would you recommend me Hardcover?

      Thanks

      Delete
    3. Well, the ESSENTIAL series is all black and white, and printed on light, newsprint style paper. They're great if you just want the story, because you get a ton of issues per volume, but they are rather cheap collections. If you want to admire the artists' linework, however, these are very good for that.

      The other formats, the various trade paperbacks and hardcovers, are in full color and usually printed on nicer paper. Most of the time the artwork is restores as well, though occasionally certain issues, mainly from the 1990s, look like they were just scanned into a computer by somebody.

      I like the hardcovers because in a lot of cases they are "oversized", meaning the pages are larger than standard comic book dimensions. But you're right that they're definitely expensive and some of the older ones, like "Inferno" and "Mutant Massacre" have been out of print for a few years. But certain issues are, at least right now, only available in hardcover format.

      I suppose in a situation where the same material is available in both paperback and hardcover, I usually choose the hardcovers because I like the size and I think they look nice on my bookcase. But I freely admit that I probably spend too much on these things. The paperbacks are of excellent quality as well, and a budget can be stretched further by purchasing those over the hardcovers.

      Hope this has been of some use to you!

      Delete
    4. Hi Matt, I just want to say thank you for all the information you brought me. It has been very useful. At the end I decided to choose the Hardcovers for the stories that I like most. And for the others Paperback.

      Do you have a facebook page?

      Delete
    5. Great, glad I was of some assistance to you!

      I do have a Facebook page, but it's really just for small friends & family type stuff. For comics and other similar things, this is the main place to communicate with me!

      Delete
  3. Hi, X-Tinction Agenda does not collect 235-238 BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! thanks for dropping In!

      Trade paperback versions of "X-Timction" don't include those four issues, but the 2011 hardcover edition definitely does. Though they also later appeared in the INFERNO PROLOGUE hardcover from 2014, too.

      P.S.: For a regularly updated version of the above, please check her Eyes.

      Delete
    2. Ugh. Typos. That's what I get for doing this on an iPad and not proofreading. That should say "X-Tinction" and "please check here."

      Delete
  4. Hello! I hope you're still reachable here. I've been collecting the X-Men comics myself but at the moment I'm stuck with Fatal Attractions. I see you have it in hardcover and I was hoping you could tell me what the differences between the hardcover and the paperback in this case and which one you think is best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, at least on Amazon, it says that the hardcover is 816 pages while the paperback is 259 pages. I was wondering why there is such a big difference? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Emma -- I don't have the "Fatal Attractions" trade, but based on page counts, I would guess that it only includes the actual labeled chapters of the crossover -- an issue apiece of X-MEN, UNCANNY X-MEN, X-FACTOR, X-FORCE, WOLVERINE, and EXCALIBUR.

      The hardcover, on the other hand, contains lots of lead-in material before the main crossover: UNCANNY X-MEN 298 - 305 & 315, UNCANNY X-MEN ANNUAL 17, X-FACTOR 87-92, X-MEN UNLIMITED 1 & 2, X-FORCE 25, X-MEN 25, WOLVERINE 75 and EXCALIBUR 71, all arranged in chronological reading order. It's a very nice collection.

      Delete
    3. So even though the hardcover is significantly more expensive, I would recommend that for a better reading experience.

      Also, please check out my updated X-Men Collected Editions chart: http://notahoaxnotadream.blogspot.com/p/x-men-collected-editions-chart.html. It's now a permanent page here, accessible under the Table of Contents to the right side of the main blog page (third item down, listed as "X-Men Collections").

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much for your reply! That's extremely helpful. I'll be sure to check that out.

      Delete