NOTE

Sunday, April 2, 2017

AQUAMAN: DEATH OF A PRINCE

I've been hanging onto this book for probably about five years now, just about the same amount of time that GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW sat unread on my bookshelf. But now I figured, hey -- I've finally given GL/GA a chance; I might as well do the same with the King of the Seven Seas.

I'm pretty sure my very first exposure to Aquaman was on SUPER FRIENDS as a young child. Indeed, aside from that series and the sixties-era Filmation AQUAMAN cartoons available on home video in the eighties, I'm not sure I've had much exposure to the character at all. Certainly on JUSTICE LEAGUE and JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED, but not really anywhere else outside of comics -- and within comics it's entirely possible that the only Aquaman I've ever read was in JLA: YEAR ONE (if you don't count the little pack-in comic that came with the Super Powers Collection Aquaman action figure, anyway).

So this will be a brand-new experience to me. As with most DC characters, I know what Aquaman's basic deal is -- son of a lighthouse keeper and an Atlantean woman, king of Atlantis, suffocates after an hour outside of the water -- but that's really about it. Let's spend the next few weeks getting me a bit more acquainted with him, shall we?

3 comments:


  1. Huh. I don’t recall seeing this collection solicited or sold. The run of Aquaman as a solo feature in Adventure it collects is at the dawn of my personal Golden Age of Comics and it’d be nice to get my hands on this to save my original copies any further wear. I haven’t reread them in a long, long time, and whatever I remember enjoying about them beyond Jim Aparo in its prime could well be entirely due to nostalgia, so I look forward to your take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez, it looks like the thing has skyrocketed in price, at least in the Amazon Marketplace! I had no idea. DC must not have given it much of a print run. I think I randomly stumbled across it on Amazon one day several years ago and -- as it wasn't too expensive at the time -- picked it up as an impulse buy.

      Delete
  2. When will it get a second printing? I mean, it's not like the entire population of the world is more aware of the character . . . are they?

    ReplyDelete