NOTE

Monday, October 8, 2018

WONDER WOMAN #14 & #15

“FOR THE GLORY OF GAEA” | "SWAN SONG"
Plotter/Layouts: George Pérez | Script: Len Wein | Inker: Bruce D. Patterson
Letterer: John Costanza | Colorist: Carl Gafford | Editor: Karen Berger

The Plot: With the Millennium crisis at an end, Wonder Woman returns beneath Paradise Island to check on her mother, and finds Heracles bearing the entire island on his shoulders as Hippolyte lays beside him. Diana flies Hippolyte to the surface, then returns to Heracles. Zeus appears and declares the demigod’s punishment at an end, and the goddess Gaia takes over supporting the island.

In the days that follow, peace returns to Paradise Island. Hippolyte recovers from her injuries, and the Amazons destroy their weaponry, declaring they will practice peace from now on. Soon Heracles is accepted back onto Olympus by Zeus, while Hippolyte tells Diana to return to Man’s World as an ambassador and preach the ways of the Amazons.

Diana says her farewells and returns to Boston, where she reunites with Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis, and takes up residence in their home once more.

Sub-Plots & Continuity Notes: Heracles apologizes to the Amazons for his treatment of them, and they accept. Later, he shares a kiss with Hippolyte before returning to Olympus.

While going through the belongings of Steve’s late father, Steve and Etta declare their love for one another.


“SWAN SONG”
Story & Layouts: George Pérez | Script: Len Wein | Finishes: Bruce D. Patterson
Lettering: John Costanza | Coloring: Carl Gafford
Editing: Karen Berger

The Plot: Late at night, a mystery man steals computer files from an office building and escapes. Meanwhile, Myndi Mayer makes plans a “Wonder Woman Fair” to be held for charity. Later the mystery man saves a woman named Maxine Sterenbuch from an assassin. Maxine explains that she’s in town at the invitation of her childhood pen pal, Valerie Beaudry, who is now married to millionaire Henry Cobb Armbruster. The mystery man reveals his name to be Solomon Buchman, and says he intends to kill Valerie just as she murdered his father.

Buchman and Maxine wander the Wonder Woman fair the next day, looking for Valerie. Eventually the woman appears, calling herself Silver Swan, and threatens the crowd. Buchman goes for his gun, but a hitman working for Armbruster stops him. Meanwhile, Wonder Woman confronts Silver Swan, who uses her “Swan Song” to destroy an occupied ferris wheel nearby.

Sub-Plots & Continuity Notes: Julia Kapatelis is in Greece visiting her parents. Vanessa, meanwhile, is still in the U.S., apparently living at home with Diana. I mean, leaving your child in the care of Wonder Woman while travel overseas is probably a safe bet, but at the same time, Diana has a habit of being pulled away to do super-stuff all the time. I wonder if Julia has any neighbors or friends checking on Vanessa too?

Diana has a dream about Superman in the issue’s opening pages not unlike the one Clark Kent had about her in SUPERMAN #5, and the insight the dreams give into these two characters is faschinating: when Clark dreamed about Wonder Woman, it started with him fighting Darkseid’s war dogs solo before being joined by Wonder Woman. They defeated the creatures together, then shared a kiss. Diana’s dream, meanwhile, has her riding a horse through a placid nature scene before the heavens part and Superman descends to kiss her. Superman dreams of action alongside Wonder Woman as his equal, while Diana dreams of tranquility and views Superman as a god (she even thinks at one point that meeting him for the first time reminded her of her first encounter with a deity).

Myndi has hired a publicist named Skeeter LaRue, who rubs her other employees, Deni and Steve, the wrong way. The two also observe that lately, Myndi “isn’t making sense.”

Etta Candy is seen weighing in as part of an ongoing fitness regimen, while Steve Trevor attends the Wonder Woman fair. Vanessa is at the fair as well, accompanied by the boy she considers her boyfriend, Barry. But Vanessa’s other friend believes he’s only hanging out with her to get close to Wonder Woman. Barry also tells Steve that Diana considers him “like a father,” which seems to bum Steve out a bit.


We’re also informed that Steve has resigned his Air Force commission following his own father’s death.

Silver Swan makes her post-CRISIS debut here, a reinvention of the pre-CRISIS villainess. According to Solomon Buchmann, she was born horribly disfigured, but an experiment changed her into the beautiful woman Maxine knows. However, Soloman also believes that the experiment drove her to kill his father.


My Thoughts: The first of these stories is your old-fashioned “sub-plot issue following from a major epic”, though in this case it follows two epics — the “Challenge of the Gods” storyline and the ill-timed MILLENNIUM event. I know that linewide crossovers interrupting the flow of monthly titles feels unavoidable nowadays, and perhaps even seems like business as usual — but this has to be one of the earliest instances of something like this happening. MILLENNIUM literally inserted itself into a multi-part Wonder Woman storyline, forcing Pérez and Wein to send Diana off into another series between issues of her own title. We don’t even know how the Pan Manhunter died, since that development happened in MILLENNIUM rather than here.

Anyway, MILLENNIUM Is over now, and as of the conclusion to WONDER WOMAN 14, so is Diana’s latest dalliance with the Gods of Olympus. She returns to Boston in issue 15, and the more entertaining (for me, at least) standard superhero fare resumes, along with a some corporate espionage. Not exactly the sort of stuff one expects from Wonder Woman’s adventures, but after all that time spent on Olympus and Paradise Island, it’s nice to get back to some relatively grounded, relatable stuff in the real world.


Otherwise, there’s not much to say about the Silver Swan storyline yet. A lot is going on; perhaps too much in terms of revealing new characters and setting up a pseudo-mystery all in the span of a single issue. But we’ll wait until next time to see how it all turns out before judging the story as a whole. All I can say is that, at the moment, there’s a lot to keep track of in this story! I practically had to re-read the whole issue in order to get the summary and continuity notes above ironed out.

Next Week: Silver Banshee returns in SUPERMAN #17.

6 comments:

  1. JB had Herakles reveal that he suffered greatly under his punishment and his arrogant pride had him believe that seducing Diana was his way of finding closure (I suppose by dominating Diana he dominates his PTSD). To do this, he took the guise of a mortal named Harold Champion and assisted Diana in several adventures (like a clone Doomsday). However, he soon began to fall in love with Diana, so he felt guilty about it. Fortunately the plan was never fulfilled, as Diana learned the truth beforehand and rebuked him despite his pleas and apologies.
    I suppose they found a more grounded origin for Silver Swan. The Pre-Crisis original (by Roy Thomas and Gene Colan) was a homely ballet dancer who yearned for beauty. Mars came to her, revealed she was descended from Helen of Troy, and granted her beauty & powers if she can kill his sworn enemy Wonder Woman (this would be her first WW insignia battle).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I knew about the Heracles/Champion stuff -- I think I may have read something about it on Byrne's message board a long time ago -- but I've never actually read that run and I didn't know how it tied in with Perez's stuff.

      It's kind of odd, considering how much attention Perez pays to the gods in this run, that he would change Silver Swan's origin to eliminate Mars's involvement! I wonder what his reason was for doing so? Maybe he just figured there was too much god stuff going on in the series and he needed to give Wonder Woman enemies of other origins as well...?

      Delete
  2. I remember Oct 10, 1988 was my last trip to the comic book store for a while. The last comic(s) my dad bought for me was AMERICA VS. THE JUSTICE SOCIETY Limited Series. The reasoning for the end of my weekly trips to the Comic Store was that my dad wanted me to do to this CCD School for my Catholicism, but I had this phobia of tall buildings, and so churches (or more accurately, our parish cathedral) scared me and I pleaded with my parents not to go. Eventually I got my way, so I guess my dad punished me by not taking me to the comic book store (at least that's what I thought. All I know is that summer of 1989, I asked dad if he could take me to the comic book store. He responded that I go to CCD School in exchange. I decided to drop the matter. Was my dad joking, or was that the true reason for my comic book store embargo I don't know). I didn't go back until 1995. By then, my phobia of churches was overcome.
    OT: 30 Years Ago, on October 8, 1988, the 196th chapter of the DRAGON BALL Manga was released in Japan; the first appearance of Son Gohan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear your regular comic shop trips ended so abruptly! I assume you still managed to pick up some titles on the newsstand, though? It's funny; 1988 -- or maybe a year or so earlier -- was actually when I started going to the comic shop on a regular basis, and I didn't stop for probably 14 or 15 years.

      Nice DRAGON BALL trivia! Hard to believe that the start of the "Z" era was so long ago. Of course I didn't even know DRAGON BALL existed until the late 90s, so that would partly be the reason why.

      Delete
  3. The newsstands interest also died out shortly afterwards. The last Marvel issues me and my siblings got were UXM#236, X-F#33 (at the time I was turned off by the Silvestri and W. Simonson art, viewing them as 'new' against 'classic' Funny how things changed...), the CLASSIC X-MEN reprint of UXM#122. The only comic I collected after that was Star Comics' COUNT DUCKULA series and that lasted for a bit. I didn't really go back to newsstands until 1993, starting with several JUSTICE LEAGUE issues, and then back to the X-Books (right before Fatal Attractions, like say Revanche storyline) and FANTASTIC FOUR (during the Scarred Ben/Bimbo Sue era).

    Speaking of trivia, today is the 30th Anniversary of DB Chapter 197, when Akira Toriyama brings in the whole 'Goku is a space alien' retcon (maybe not a retcon, since Goku's origins were never made clear before, although at the time it was hinted to be mystical rather than sci-fi) with Raditz meeting Goku and revealing he is a Saiya-jin. A revelation that would change the series to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would certainly consider Goku's alien heritage to be a ret-con. While it doesn't necessarily change any established facts, it's pretty safe to assume that Toriyama never intended the character to come from outer space when he first started the manga!

    I think I said it before, but pre-"Z" is really my favorite era of DRAGON BALL. More came after the 23rd Budokai than before it, but I find the story a lot more enjoyable when Goku is still relatively mortal, so to speak. I like much of the "Z" material, and I love the Androids Saga (important delineation: that's specifically the Androids saga, not the Cell Saga -- after Cell becomes perfect, I kind of lose interest) -- but for me, kid Goku up to the fight with Piccolo Jr. is what it's really all about! Plus, the filler material in the DRAGON BALL TV show is usually way more enjoyable to me than the filler in DBZ.

    ReplyDelete