NOTE

Sunday, January 27, 2019

THE UNBOXING - JANUARY 2019

We'll kick things off this month with the Christmas Unboxing -- a few gifts from my family on December 25th. First and foremost among these is STAR WARS ART: RALPH McQUARRIE, a massive two-volume slipcased set collecting all the artwork McQuarrie did as a concept artist on the original STAR WARS movies. I'm positively in love with these books, and I may have to do a post about them at some point, if I ever get around to it.


Also, from my wife, we have Fantagraphics' CARL BARKS DISNEY LIBRARY: THE LOST PEG LEG MINE and CARL BARKS DISNEY LIBRARY: THE BLACK PEARLS OF TABU YAMA. I think I mentioned last year that my wife has been giving me these books every year for Christmas for a few years now (Fantagraphics releases two volumes per year). I believe there are only around ten books left before the full series is collected, but I could be mistaken. In any case, I read Barks' stories through Gladstone Comics when I was in elementary school, but I've never touched them since. Still, somehow they're indelibly burned into my brain to the point that every time I get a new volume, memories rush back as if I just read them yesterday.

I also made a number of digital purchases through Comixology via their year-end sales. From Dark Horse, several books which are no longer available to buy, since the company has now lost its license to Marvel: THE SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN vols. 1 - 9 (the series ran much longer, but I believe this is the full Roy Thomas run, which is all I really wanted), and CONAN: THE DAUGHTERS OF MIDORA AND OTHER STORIES.

From DC, I grabbed WONDER WOMAN/CONAN and BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS vol. 2. From Fantagraphics, I picked up THE CARL BARKS LIBRARY: THE BLACK PEARLS OF TABU YAMA (yes, I'm double-dipping on these. I like having "digital copies" of a lot of my books) and THE DON ROSA LIBRARY: THE THREE CABALLEROS (I want to own Barks in physical format, but I'm okay going digital-only for Rosa).


And from Marvel, I got THOR BY WALTER SIMONSON vol. 3 and vol. 4, TOMB OF DRACULA: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION vol. 2, X-MEN CLASSIC: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION vol. 1, X-MEN: GRAND DESIGN vol. 2, and X-MEN: THE MAGNETO WAR.

And that about covers my merry holiday haul. We'll check in next month for more of the same!

2 comments:

  1. I bought the Savage Sword of Conan vols. 1-9 collections also.
    Those do reprint the entirety of the original Roy Thomas run, which was also mainly what I wanted.

    However, Dark Horse did reprint the entire run of Savage Sword.
    Thomas did return and write some more issues of Savage Sword before the series ended.
    So, those issues are collected. I'm not totally sure what volumns of the Dark Horse collections contain the second Thomas run.
    I decided not to bother with buying those volumns, myself.

    However, if you do want the complete Roy Thomas run on Savage Sword, know that there was a run of issues in the 1990s written by Thomas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I looked up all the issues Thomas contributed to while deciding what to buy, so I figured out that he did come back later on -- but I think all I really need is his early stuff on the title. I know Marvel will re-release all this material over time, so if I decide I really want the later Thomas stuff (or any non-Thomas stuff), I can still get it eventually.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete