NOTE

Monday, March 4, 2019

DETECTIVE COMICS #404

"GHOST OF THE KILLER SKIES!"
A tribute to the great Joe Kubert & Robert Kanigher
Script: Denny O'Neil | Art: Neal Adams & Dick Giordano | Editor: Julius Schwartz

Note: Screenshots below come from BATMAN ILLUSTRATED BY NEAL ADAMS VOLUME 2 and are not representative of these stories' original colors (the covers are presented as published, however).

It's 1988. You're nine years old. Tim Burton's BATMAN movie is due out next year. BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES is still four years away. You've "grown up" (insomuch as a child can be considered to have done so) with Batman, but never actually read a comic book featuring the character. Your only exposure to Batman has been via reruns of the Adam West TV show, the Filmation cartoon, and SUPER FRIENDS. But you've come to like the character quite a bit through those incarnations, and somehow you wind up with a copy of THE GREATEST BATMAN STORIES EVER TOLD, a trade paperback (published by Warner Books rather than DC Comics) collecting, ostensibly, some of the best bat-material of the past four decades.

So you start reading. You merely skim some of the early chapters because the artwork doesn't appeal to you. But soon you find yourself reading stories from the fifties and sixties. This is the Batman you recognize from TV. Colorful! Fun! Battling zany villains and accompanied at all times by Robin, the Boy Wonder!

Then you get to page 162, and suddenly things change. The artwork is more realistic. Batman looks different; longer ears, darker colors. The tone of the story is considerably moodier than what came before. Robin is nowhere to be seen. And, on the very first page -- murder! A mystery unfolds! You've seen Batman solve mysteries before, in the stories earlier in this book, but you've never seen him try to unravel a murder. Before the story is done, two more people have died. You wonder if you're supposed to be reading this stuff! Did they slip some kind of "grown-up" Batman story into this book by mistake? What would your parents say if they knew you were reading about people getting strangled to death?


Congratulations, reader -- you're me, and you just relived the moment I realized there was more to Batman than the "kiddified" version with which I had spent the first near-decade of my life. And I should note right now, for the record, that I have no objections whatsoever to the Adam West/Filmation/SUPER FRIENDS Batman of my childhood (Olan Soule is right behind Kevin Conroy as my favorite Batman performance). There are multiple valid interpretations of the character (except the current one; that's never been valid), but until this point, I didn't realize that was the case. This was the story that introduced me to the "Darknight Detective" version of Batman, and it's probably no wonder, based on that, that I hold the decade of the seventies in such high esteem with regards to the character.

"You are standing on a windswept cliff somewhere in central Spain, looking through the eyes of a solitary watcher... observing a speck of an aircraft in the distance...

It is closer, and you hears its engine sputtering--you see that it is a French-made Nieuport 17--a motorized kite that was used in the world's first air-combat in 1916...

Suddenly it flips over and hurls toward the rocks below you... and you know with chill certainty, that you are witnessing a murder--

The ground shudders as the plane splinters against the cliff's snowy face...

Leave, now the eyes of the dread--Batman and follow the caped avengers through a tangle of crime and into the bleakest corner of a man's soul... a man who must become... ghost of the killer skies!"


"Ghost of the Killer Skies!" finds Bruce Wayne jet-setting again -- as noted a couple weeks ago, this was not uncommon for the O'Neil/Adams version of the playboy -- and this time he's in Spain, where he has dipped his toe into the world of movie production. The film is a biopic on German pilot Hans von Hammer, known during the first World War as the Hammer of Hell (and known to DC readers as the star of the Silver Age comic book series ENEMY ACE, though I didn't know that when I read this story as a kid). But somebody is out to sabotage the production, killing the movie's stunt pilot and later its director. I know this issue is almost fifty years old, but nonetheless I won't spoil it, as it's a decently plotted mystery by O'Neil and Adams, complete with a red herring.

Suffice it to say, however, that the story climaxes with a thrilling dogfight between Batman and the killer in World War I era biplanes, featuring one of the coolest stunts of the O'Neil/Adams run, in which Batman leaps from one plant to another in midair.


Look -- the above reminiscence should make it clear that I harbor a great deal of nostalgia for this story; perhaps more than I have for any other Batman tale. Nonetheless, I think I can be objective enough to look at it on its own merits. And, for my money, "Ghost of the Killer Skies" is easily the best-plotted of the O'Neil/Adams collaborations we've look at so far -- and possibly, in fact, of all six Batman stories we've examined. It's tight but doesn't feel too short, and the mystery is a genuine one, played mostly fair with readers. Plus, O'Neil's script is excellent as usual and Adams' artwork is astounding as always. Unlike their previous efforts, which I've described as being somewhat uneven and greater than the sum of their parts, this may well be the first O'Neil/Adams story which can truly be called a classic in all respects.

Next week, Batman meets the League of Assassins and their diabolical leader, Doctor Darrk!

10 comments:

  1. Well done on this latest review, my friend. This month is plenty special for the Batman character. I'll be tuning in for more classic "Batman" reviews from you -- same Bat-time, same Bat-website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But... I'm not you. It was 1989, I was nine years old, and the police had just broken into Jean DeWolff's apartment and asked the downtown to send for people with strong stomachs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teemu, this is also valid.

      Delete
    2. Well... for full disclosure, thinking about it more closely there had at the time already been for me (late 1987-early 1988) UXM #205 Wolverine solo "Wounded Wolf", Wolverine ramming his claws into Rachel's gut in #207 and obviously the Marauders doing the Mutant Massacre.

      But somehow all that somehow quite failed to register like the Sin-Eater story, which was a clear departure from what our Spidey book had been for the year and a half I had been reading it.

      Delete
    3. I could get involved in this nine years old comic book memory lane thing, but that would mean starting with "It was 1975" and I'd just feel old.

      (It was an issue of Steve Gerber's run on The Defenders, which really says a lot about my formative influences as a comic's reader.)

      Delete

    4. It’s the summer of 1980. My tenth birthday is closer up ahead than my ninth in the rear-view mirror, and I’ve already seen a fair bit of surprisingly heavy stuff go down in my superhero comics, but I’m not prepared for X-Men #137.

      Delete
    5. Hmm... you might win this round, Blam.

      Now I need to see what actual new comics I was reading when I was nine. In '88, it would've mostly been Gladtone's Disney reprints, plus licensed comics (TRANSFORMERS, MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, THUNDERCATS, ALF), and some Spider-Man from Marvel -- and since I avoided Todd McFarlane's ugly artwork like the plague back then, that would mean Gerry Conway/Sal Buscema on SPECTACULAR and Conway/Alex Saviuk on WEB.

      Delete

  3. // Olan Soule is right behind Kevin Conroy as my favorite Batman performance //

    Ditto.

    The Archie Goodwin & Alex Toth story “Death Flies the Haunted Sky” is also in The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told, and I have a vague recollection that the similarity of the titles is even mentioned in an introduction to either that book or another that reprints at least one if not both of the stories.

    Anyway, I didn’t remember this story as well as that one. I might disagree with you on whether it feels too short — the pacing around that reveal of the red herring felt awkward to me — but not enough to argue. The present-day character standing in for Hans von Hammer is given an impressively Kubert look yet with enough restraint that it doesn’t clash with the rest of the Adams/Giordano art. Speaking of which, Pg. 7’s final panel has Batman cutting a figure very close to perhaps Adams’ single most familiar Batman pose and might even have been statted for reuse itself.

    Notable lettercol names this issue: Alan Brennert and Martin Pasko again, plus Mike W. Barr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even as a kid, I found it odd that both "Death Flies the Haunted Sky" and this story were in THE GREATEST BATMAN STORIES EVER TOLD. Did the book really need two biplane-related stories in it? I assume it was included for the Alex Toth artwork, but in that case, why go with "Ghost of the Killer Skies!" to represent O'Neil/Adams when there were several other options?

      Not that I'm complaining, of course -- if this story hadn't been in the book, I wouldn't have the anecdote I used to open my post!

      Interesting observation on the Batman figure from page 7. Somehow I didn't catch that, even though the shot you're talking about is pretty much the definitive image of Batman in my head.

      Delete

    2. I found a scan of an ad for "stick-ons" that prominently features that pose, which really took me back. And when I linked to a cover in a comment on your next post in this series just now, I was reminded that the pose was used as part of of Detective Comics' trade dress from #450 through #460, going by the GCD's cover gallery, smack at the start of my personal Golden Age of Comics.

      Delete