NOTE

Friday, May 8, 2020

AVENGERS BY JOE CASEY & FRIENDS

Time for a few limited series from the twenty-first century House of Ideas -- and as you should know by now, I'm generally not a fan of much of Marvel's post-2000 output. At worst, I find it stupid and ill-conceived. At best, I find it uninteresting. But there are some diamonds in the rough, and this trio of limited series, written by Joe Casey between 2004 and 2010, are among those Marvel projects that I really enjoy from the era.

These three stories are "refreshed" versions of the early Avengers continuity, mainly the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby/Don Heck and Roy Thomas/John Buscema years. Casey retells the Avengers' origin and presents new sub-plots (or enhances existing ones), and my recollection is that these stories -- especially EARTH'S MIGHTEST HEROES II -- were really, really good. I hope my recollection proves correct!

Please note that I've decided to present the series in chronological order rather than publication order. EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES and EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES II were published in 2004 and 2006, respectively, and THE ORIGIN came in 2010 -- but since THE ORIGIN is a retelling of the first issue of AVENGERS while EMH begins with team just formed, I'm going to cover THE ORIGIN first and then move onto the prior two series. Got it?

So, beginning Monday, let's take a jaunt back to one of Marvel's classic eras, by way of a modern-day retelling!


* Interestingly, it seems to mostly be Marvel's modern continuity titles that I have no use for, post-2000. I actually like a fair number of their out-of-continuity and/or "flashback" type of one-shots and limited series -- which these stories happen to be. I suppose it makes sense; by their nature, these sorts of stories can't include any of the modern characters, status quos, costumes, etc. that I dislike -- but also, these sorts of stories often tend to be written by guys who were on Marvel books pre-2000, which makes them "grandfathered in" for my approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment