NOTE

Monday, September 13, 2021

GIANT-SIZE INVADERS #1

"THE COMING OF THE INVADERS!"
Writer/Editor: Roy Thomas | Artist: Frank Robbins | Inker: Vince Colletta
Colorist: Petra Goldberg | Letterer: John Costanza
With Special Thanks to John Romita
This issue dedicated to the "Real McCoys"--
Stan Lee * Joe Simon * Jack Kirby

The Plot: After breaking up a Nazi sabotage operation, Captain America and Bucky are approached by FBI agents who bring them to see Doctor Anderson, the man who oversaw Steve Rogers' transformation into Captain America, and who is now dying at Walter Reed Hospital. Anderson explains that he was recently kidnapped by a Nazi agent named Krieghund, who probed his memory for the super-soldier secrets, and used those secrets to create a new Nazi super-agent, Master Man. But the Human Torch and his sidekick, Toro, arrived to rescue Anderson, while Krieghund and Master Man escaped from their secret Virginia base.

Suddenly realizing what Krieghund is up to, Anderson asks the FBI to rush Cap, Bucky, the Human Torch, and Toro to Chesapeake Bay, Virginia. The heroes arrive time to see a British battleship come under attack by a German submarine. Master Man leaps from the sub to the ship, but finds Namor the Sub-Mariner, in disguise, waiting for him. Master Man gains the upper hand on Namor, but Cap, Bucky, and the Torches arrive to lend a hand. Master Man retreats to shore, followed by Cap and Bucky, while Namor, the Torch, and Toro save the British ship and sink the sub. On shore, Master Man's super-soldier formula wears off and Cap and Bucky easily defeat him.

In the aftermath, the heroes learn that Winston Churchill was aboard the ship, coming to Washington for a meeting with President Roosevelt. He implores the group to remain together and upon their agreement, christens them the Invaders.
Continuity Notes: When Doctor Anderson's name is mentioned, Cap flashes back to his origin, recalling that Anderson oversaw all the government's special projects, including Professor Erskine's Operation: Rebirth. Erskine's alais of Reinstein is mentioned in this scene as well. Also present in the flashback are the usual stalwarts from any retelling of Cap's origin: Franklin Roosevelt, General Phillips, the young woman disguised as an old lady, and Nazi agent Kruger.
When Captain America and the Human Torch cross paths, we're told that they first met in 1941's YOUNG ALLIES #1.

Dialogue indicates that this story occurs one year after Steve Rogers became Captain America, and two weeks after the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the United States' entrance to World War II.

At one point, Namor notes that he is the "acting emperor" of Atlantis (though the kingdom is not here, nor in any subsequent issues I've seen, referred to by that name for whatever reason), with a footnote pointing to "this issue's special 'Comics Section'" for details -- a feature not included in the reprint I read for this review.
My Thoughts: Well. It's a comic written by Roy Thomas, so it could probably get by with about thirty to fifty percent fewer words and still be readable -- but it's not nearly as over-verbose as some of Thomas's sixties work that I've read in the past, so that's good at least. I can only hope the series proper will follow that trend. As I said last week when I announced this project, I think Thomas is a great "idea man" -- I'm just not generally a fan of scripting.

Speaking of which, the Namor presented in this tale bears no resemblance to any version of the character I've ever seen before. He speaks very casually, his dialogue peppered with contractions and slang. It's... weird. I assume this is how Namor was written in the original 1940s stories, but I don't know for sure. All I can say is that Namor talking like this is going to take some getting used to!
(Another thing I assume is taken from the orignal comics is Toro regularly calling the Human Torch "Pappy". Again, not something I'm familiar with, but I have admittedly read very few stories, Golden Age or otherwise, featuring Toro.)

The artwork is great, though, for the most part. This is the Frank Robbins I know from the Batman stories I looked at a couple years back -- though there's a distinct lack of the heavy blacks he used in those stories at the Distinguished Competition -- understandable, since the Invaders aren't creatures of the night, but still a little jarring.

I mean, there had to have
originally been backgrounds in the
pencil art for this page, right?!

Also missing in this story: backgrounds. With very few exceptions (and especially as the story moves along), the characters are seen on nearly every page talking, fighting, and doing whatever else in completely featureless, colored voids. But I'm not ready to pin this on Robbins, who did backgrounds just fine in his Batman stories. If you'll take a gander up top and check out the inking credit for this issue, you'll find the name of a man notorious for erasing backgrounds and other details from the pencil art in order to meet his deadlines. So until anyone can confirm otherwise, I will assume that good ol' Vinnie Colletta is the culprit on this front, and hope that he doesn't stick around for long as regular inker on the ongoing series.

And as for the story? I mean, it gets the job done. As of the final page, the Invaders have been formed and are ready to challenge the Axis powers. The story that gets us there is decent, if somewhat uninspired. And it seems a little odd to recap Captain America's origin but not the Torch's or Namor's -- but apparently this issue featured some Golden Age reprints, so those origins may have appeared there instead.

I'm not a hundred percent sold on this series after one issue, but I'll continue to tough it out as the series proper begins next week. I'm hopeful some ongoing serialization in the Mighty Marvel Manner will raise my interest level!

9 comments:

  1. Yes, Namor had a flair for the slang in his GA years. When Roy combined all the pre-1990 Namor stories into one narrative- The Saga of Prince Namor the Sub Mariner LS- Namor the Narrator expisitioned regret about the vernacular.
    The original GS I came with a reprint of the GA story where the Nazis bombed Atlantis “killing” Namor’s grandfather the King (Roy added a footnote stating he was just rendered comatose).
    OT this week marks the 35th Anniversary of G I JOE’s “Arise, Serpentor, Arise!” Storyline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the series goes along, and actually starting fairly early, Namor's slang is dialed back. By the twenties, which is where I am now, it's completely gone.

      I've been thinking a lot about G.I. Joe lately, but I didn't realize we were 35 years since "Arise, Serpentor". Makes sense, though, since that was the opening to the 1986 season!

      That particular mini-series was not one of my favorites. I mean, it's okay, but the further you get from the 1982/83/84 stuff, the less interested I am. I do rank it above "Pyramid of Darkness" though, if only because "Pyramid" suffers from some truly atrocious animation.

      Delete
  2. The home of Namor's people wasn't named as such in the reprint (from 1941's Sub-Mariner #1) either and the people were only called "Sub-Mariners".

    The footnote explains that... Namor doesn't understand his people's physiology, the Emperor was only in suspended animation, he revived in the 1950s and only died in the early 1960s. I'd have to check through all the issues but it sound like either the 1950s revival had ignored the Emperor's death or else Thomas himself did when he filled in the backstory to how the Sub-Mariner got amnesia and the kingdom came to be abandoned in 1968's Sub-Mariner #1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know very little about Namor, so I appreciate you guys filling in some blanks! My exposure to the character in comics is pretty much limited to FANTASTIC FOUR guest appearance (and I've not read much of that series beyond John Byrne's run), a bit of Roger Stern's AVENGERS (which I've also not read much of), and some of Byrne's NAMOR series (of which I've read maybe the first 20 or so issues).

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the more thorough description.. I know another 50s SUB issue that showed the King alive and well (the story was about restoring Namor’s lost ankle wings. Thomas would adapt it in his SAGA story, although he changed the ending to put in events from JM DeMatties’ 1984 LS), so it does appear Roy was trying to fix clashing continuities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things about the Invaders that I was struck by, even as a kid, was how easy it was in the 1940s for people to create super heroes. Building androids, genetic engineering-even allowing for how super hero books aren't set in anything remotely like the actual world, but even kid me was amused by how easy it was to just casually make a Master Man without even trying hard. It also kind of ruined how unique Captain America was if the Nazis could do it too, but that was a thought I had many years later.

    An unrelated thing, but something that just occurred to me: my older sister used to take my Invaders comics and draw smiley faces on the blank faces of the Human Torch and Toro whenever they were on the cover. To this day I don't particularly know why. At least she left my X-Men alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there seem to be a number of characters running around in this series who were created by derivations of the super-soldier process. Cap of course, plus Master Man, the mighty Destroyer/Union Jack II, and Warrior Woman all come to mind, plus I think maybe one or two other's I've forgotten.

      Funny story about your sister! I remember occasionally drawing in comics when I was a kid. Mainly, when you had a long shot of Spider-Man where the artist had not drawn in the detail of the webbing, I would add it myself sometimes. I knocked it off by the time I was around seven or so, though.

      Delete

  5. I was taken aback by Namor’s casual speech in these early issues too, going through them for the first time in many years, even having read some Golden Age stories more recently and recalling his far more youthful, brash, and informal nature there. And yeah, Toro did indeed call the Torch “Pappy” back in the day.

    Notable: Cap’s origin here, owing to the era’s understandable aversion to the granting of super-powers via injection of drugs, has Steve merely needing to drink a potion — a revision that I believe dates back to the 1965 retelling in Tales of Suspense #63; the 1981 version in Captain America #255, which I think you covered a while back, synthesizes and expands on previous depictions. [Yep. Found my comments on it, written up but unsubmitted as it turns out, and rectified that.]

    My hope was that my failure to get on board your Titans series and later the post-Crisis Superman and Wonder Woman series wouldn’t be repeated with this one. I had the experience in both cases of falling so far behind that I got stymied by not wanting to spend time rehashing, or in a way prehashing, subjects that had likely already come up in later posts while also not wanting to forget what I had to say in case they didn’t. Life got in the way, however, so here I am biting my virtual tongue and resolving to get through what’s been published so far in short order lest I just give up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Blam -- I understand! Between reading the stuff I post about here and reading along with the X-Men posts on Gentlemen of Leisure, I sometimes feel like I barely have time to read anything myself, just for fun. I find myself wondering how I read twenty or whatever comics a month, plus novels and other things, and still had time to go to school/work, do homework, watch TV, play games, and hang out with friends, in my teens and twenties!

      Growing up really saps your free time...

      Delete