NOTE

Monday, April 11, 2022

INVADERS #31

"HEIL FRANKENSTEIN!"
Guest Writer & Artist: Don Glut & Chic Stone | Inker: Bill Black
Letterer: Tom Orzechowski | Colorist: George Roussos
Editor: Roy Thomas

The Plot: During some downtime at Falsworth Manor, Spitfire stumbles across an oversized Nazi officer's hat. Captain America appears and relates to her an early, untold Invaders adventure: the Human Torch and Toro went to the Alps to investigate possible Nazi activity. When they failed to report back, Cap, Bucky, and Namor followed. There, they found a mob of villagers who reported a monster sighting, as well as the Torches' arrival and disappearance inside the nearby Castle Frankenstein.

Cap and Bucky infiltrated the castle while Namor stayed in the village. Within the castle, the heroes found several Nazis, in league with a paraplegic scientist named Basil Frankenstein, his partner and lover, Doctor "Kitty" Kitagowa, and their creation: a lumbering behemoth of a monster. The monster overcame Cap and Bucky, and Frankenstein and Kitty made plans to transfer Frankenstein's brain into Cap's body. Meanwhile, they also drained the Human Torch's android energies to enlarge their monster.

When the castle lit up due to the latter procedure, Namor flew in to investigate. Together, the Invaders battled the monster until it was electrocuted, which shorted out the brain control device Frankenstein and Kitty had implanted. With its free will restored, the monster grabbed its creators and leapt off the castle, killing all three of them. When the villagers then prepared to destroy the castle, the Human Torch forced them to leave it standing as a memorial to the fallen monster, which he considered a kindred spirit.

Continuity Notes: This is a stand-alone story with no footnotes or continuity nods of any sort (see my thoughts on this below), save a reference to Basil Frankenstein's ancestor, Victor, who had created a similar monster many years before, as seen in MONSTER OF FRANKENSTEIN #1.
Opening narration states that it's been two days since the Invaders' last mission, though it's not specifically stated what that mission was (see my thoughts on this below). Also, the bizarre sight of noblewoman Jacqueline Falsworth dusting the house at super-speed is explained away as something the butler would normally do, but she's handling herself due to boredom.
(Why she's doing this in full costume, however, goes unexplained -- and brings to the forefront an oddity of this series: the Invaders are nearly always in costume, no matter what they're doing. I think we've seen Steve Rogers and Bucky in "civilian" garb -- actually their army uniforms -- one time in thirty-one issues, and the Human Torch likewise has only once changed out of his costume to blend in with the public. This series isn't much for secret identity plotlines. It's... weird, coming from a Marvel book.)

Spitfire is also ignorant of the Frankenstein mission, though she herself noted a couple issues ago that the Invaders keep a "combat diary" and that she had read it -- which was how she knew the team had not previously battled the Teutonic Knight. And that issue was written by Don Glut, too! (See my thoughts on this below. Sensing a pattern here?)
None of the Invaders so much as blink at the idea of a Doctor named Frankenstein creating a monster (I mean other than the fact that they're taken aback by the creature itself), suggesting that they're all woefully deficient in pop culture knowledge, or that Mary Shelley's book does not exist in the Marvel Universe -- which doesn't feel right, since I'm certain Frankenstein has been referenced as "a thing" in other comics I've read.

My Thoughts: I feel like this has to be an inventory story. We're a few months into the Jim Shooter era at Marvel, though our credits haven't yet reflected that. But Shooter took over as Marvel's editor-in-chief with the issues cover-dated May or June of 1978, and Shooter was known to commission inventory stories, intended to sit in a drawer until such time as an issue fell behind its deadlines and it could be published in order to save the readers from a reprint.

Now, I can't say for certain that's what happened here -- I mean, Shooter's only been the EiC for two or three months at this point. But this reads just like your typical inventory tale: a guest writer and art team, no references to ongoing continuity and nothing identifying when in the chronology it falls -- heck, it's even, for the most part, a flashback to the early days of the book, to keep the "modern day" stuff from being outdated by the time of publication. And yet it still manages to get one or two small details wrong, which is also not uncommon for an inventory story.
So my guess is that Don Glut had come in to do a couple fill-in (not inventory; there's a difference) issues with new regular artist Alan Kupperberg, and at the same time was tapped to write an inventory story for a different artist to draw. So this tale was created alongside issues 29 and 30, and -- wouldn't you know it -- Roy or Alan or somebody fell behind schedule so quickly that it was needed immediately after Glut's fill-in 2-parter! Again, this is all speculation, but it seems to make a lot of sense.

As for the story itself? It's not bad! I still think Glut is a good fit for this title, and I look forward to seeing him take over for Thomas when he departs the series. This is a nicely paced done-in-one with a fun premise. Chic Stone has never been my favorite artist, but that's due more to his interpretations of certain characters. His illustrations in and of themselves are fine. I'll enjoy Thomas's final story arc, but I'm also ready to bring on Glut for the final leg of the series!

6 comments:


  1. The art’s hinky in spots but I actually like it better than the previous couple of issues due to its somewhat crude, Golden Age feel.

    I had the same thought re the “combat diary” — and had to wrack my brain over whether the adventure even could fit somewhere. Funny enough, given your observation about how infrequently we see the Invaders out of costume, once I’d recalled #16 kicking off with Steve & Bucky in the movie theater I accepted that even though it’s felt very much like one story has run right into the next from the start there must be other spots that allow for an untold tale like this to be slotted in.

    Also deliberated:

    What language(s) are the Invaders and villagers speaking to one another?

    How are we supposed to accept Cap telling the crowd “I, uh, don’t really buy that monster part of your story” when Cap has just recently fought a vampire and met a golem, working alongside a flaming artificial man?

    What the heck are those “android energies” being siphoned from Torch to the creature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "android energies" were perhaps the oddest part of the story for me. I'm not even sure what that means. I mean, it's established that the Torch has blood!

      I feel like there has to be a spot where this fits in, even if it's simply between GIANT-SIZE INVADERS #1 and INVADERS #1. That placement feels a little iffy to me, given the team had not formally set up shop in England yet, but I suppose it could work in a pinch.

      Yes, Cap "not buying" the monster stuff is just as weird to me as Cap not recognizing the idea of a guy named Frankenstein creating a monster!

      I forget where I read this, but apparently Don Glut was known to "phone it in" now and then. This could be an example of that, I suppose.

      Delete
  2. Don Glut is a FRANKENSTEIN fan, having written several books and essays about the subject. He also showed that devotion in the “Autobot Spike” episode he wrote for TRANSFORMERS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I now recall reading that Glut is into classic monsters in general. I don’t mind admitting that once, about 20 years ago, I was watching a late-night “Skinemax” movie about a mummy who returned to life in modern times, and doing a double-take when I saw Glut credited as the film’s writer and director. Subsequent to that, I learned about his interest in all sorts of creatures in that vein.

      (The movie wasn’t very good, as I recall, though the actress who played the chronically naked mummy was fun to look at.)

      I always forget Glut wrote some TRANSFORMERS episodes. I mainly associate him with SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS and the first four MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE mini-comics. When I watched that mummy movie and saw his name, my thought was, “the Spidey and Friends guy?!”

      Delete
    2. When I think of Glut it’s mostly for these issues of Invaders and the Empire Strikes Back novelization. More recently I learned about those unlicensed amateur films he made starring popular monsters and superheroes, which I even more recently discovered have been collected on DVD. I hadn’t realized or remembered — hard to tell which anymore 8^) — that he’d worked in animation but it’s not surprising given the breadth of his career in “genre” work.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, I always forget about the ESB novelization! Which I suppose means it's not anything I immediately associate with Glut, but it is something I know him from.

      Delete