NOTE

Monday, May 16, 2022

INVADERS #36

"CRUSHED BY THE IRON CROSS!"
Writer/Editor: Roy Thomas | Illustrators: Alan Kupperberg & Chic Stone
Letterer: Joe Rosen | Colorist: Carl Gafford | Consulting Editor: Jim Shooter

The Plot: The Liberty Legion confronts Iron Cross, who holds Miss America captive. Iron Cross easily defeats the team and then has his henchmen load them into a truck, along with his prisoner, Professor Schneider. Meanwhile, Whizzer, Captain America, the Human Torch, and Namor spot a train in trouble and stop to aid it. By the time they arrive at the site of the Liberty Legion's battle with Iron Cross, all participants are gone. But Namor is able to use Miss America's still-active distress signal to trace her location.

Meanwhile, Iron Cross and all his prisoners are aboard a German submarine, where Schneider deduces Iron Cross's true identity as his childhood friend, Helmut Gruler. Gruler threatens to kill the Liberty Legion if Schneider doesn't aid him in upgrading his armor, which Schneider himself had originally created. But at that moment, Namor's flagship arrives, and the Sub-Mariner disembarks to attack the U-boat. He battles Iron Cross underwater, and the submarine suffers collatoral damage. But in addition to the sub springing a leak, the impact also awakens and frees the Liberty Legionnaires. The group subdues Iron Cross's henchmen, while Cross himself boards the ship and grabs Schneider.

Iron Cross flees to the surface with Schneider, leaving Namor behind to deal with the sinking submarine and trapped Legionnaires.

Continuity Notes: A footnote reminds readers that Iron Cross captured Professor Schneider last issue. Later, Schneider recaps his past with Helmut Gruler: They grew up together, best friends, but drifted apart when Hitler took power and Gruler began to sympathize with him. Gruler then continues the story, describing how the two lost touch for years until Gruler looked up his old friend, but found that he had already defected to America, leaving the Iron Cross armor, which he had designed for a true, freedom-loving German to wear after Hitler was toppled, behind.
Gruler states multiple times that he is a German, but not a Nazi -- i.e., that he serves the interests of his country whether he agrees with those leading it or not.

On the final page, Whizzer suggests that Cap submerge Namor's flagship so it can rescue the Liberty Legion, but Cap exclaims that, unfortunately, in all the many months the Invaders have been together, cruising around Europe and across the Atlantic in the craft, Namor never bothered to show anybody how to perform that simple function.
My Thoughts: And that's a wrap on Roy Thomas! As of next issue, frequent guest-writer Don Glut will take over for the remainder of the series (which, as I've noted a few times, is not that much longer -- only five issues after this one). I kind of imagine Thomas had intended to come back to the series, though. He remains as editor through to the end, and he's leaving here on a cliffhanger -- I would think he had planned to finish this story but was unable to. And then, with the series limping to an end (and with an impending departure from Marvel upcoming due to disagreements with Jim Shooter), he probably just decided to step away and let it run out the clock without him.

Way back last year, when I started this project, I commented that I have never really enjoyed Thomas's writing all that much. I will admit this is based on a small sample size, however, both coming when I was in college: I believe my first encounter with Roy was in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #100 and the few issues immediately following. I distinctly remember literally nearly falling asleep as I struggled through his walls and walls of prose in those issues. And my next exposure to him was in an AVENGERS: KREE/SKRULL WAR trade paperback. I couldn't even make it through that thing. The prose was so dense, so flowery, and, for the most part, so absolutely unnecessary beside the imagery it accompanied, that I couldn't take it. To this day, I have never finished the "Kree/Skrull" storyline.
After those two experiences when I was around nineteen or twenty years old, I went out of my way to avoid Roy Thomas. I'm sure I still encountered him here and there as I read various random back issues and stories over the years (the debut of Iron Fist comes to mind), but I actively avoided any extended storylines or runs from him. (With one exception: maybe about ten years ago, I read all of the original run of RED SONJA, which I mainly wanted to check out for Frank Thorne's artwork. I found Thomas just as eyelid drooping then as I had a decade earlier.)

To me, over the years, based on those brief exposures, Thomas had become the poster child for over-writing a comic book. More than Chris Claremont. More than early Stan Lee, who could be rather verbose as well. More than anyone else, Thomas exemplified, in my mind, the somewhat full-of-himself comic book writer who would not -- could not -- let the artwork tell the story with minimal assistance. One of those writers who needed to see his words on the page to show how important his job was to the process. Which is totally unfair to Thomas; from what I've seen in various columns and interviews over the years, he has nothing but the utmost respect for his artistic collaborators. Yet I've never quite been able to figure out how "respect for the artist" and "cram as many words as possible into every panel, including descriptions of things the artwork shows perfectly well" can co-exist in one single writer -- yet somehow, I guess they do.

So I picked up INVADERS with some trepadition. It was a series I had long fancied reading, but had long put off due to Thomas's participation. But, ultimately, I figured it was only about forty issues, and it was created during Marvel's era of the seventeen-page story, so it couldn't be that bad. I took the plunge and gave it a try. And, as I hope I've made evident over the past several months, I've really enjoyed it. Do I still think Thomas overwrites? Absolutely. Do I think, circa 1979, that he's a Silver Age writer who hasn't evolved into the Bronze Age style? Definitely. Did I find his obsession over certain minutiae of continuity distracting? Certainly. (And I love continuity minutiae!)
But did I find any of this a slog? Did I drop off to sleep mid-issue at any point? No! I really liked most of the stories. And, though I've mentioned several times that I don't quite think Thomas had a grasp on pacing his stories for a seventeen-page runtime, I do think that shorter length generally helped me cope with him. The only issues where I really found myself bored were, not surprisingly, GIANT-SIZE #1 and the annual -- both extra-length installments.

So here we are. I survived thirty-six Roy Thomas comics, less a few fill-ins. (Hey, that would look good on a T-shirt!) And I enjoyed the ride pretty much all the way through. That said, I did generally think Don Glut was a better scripter than Thomas, and I look forward to finishing out the series with him.

Oh, what about this issue? Well, it's about time Namor got a showcase! Cap and the Torch have had most of the big moments lately, with Namor relegated to their background muscle. Seeing him dive in and battle Iron Cross one-on-one makes this issue worth the price of admission.

10 comments:


  1. I understand that Namor’s backside is to us on that cover, but it’s not delineated well enough — looks to me like his legs are crossed in front of him and so the feet are drawn wrong.

    The lettercol is devoted to one missive and its editorial response. You might find it an edifying if not enjoyably exhaustive account of Roy’s treatment of Timely/Marvel’s published Golden Age material vis-à-vis The Invaders. We’re also told that Don Glut’s coming aboard for “a couple of issues while [Thomas] catches up on some Conan and Red Sonja material.” (Here are links to scans of Pg.2.)

    I had the Remco® Amazing Energized™ Spider-Man® figure seen on the inside front cover. Very disappointing. The pulling mechanism didn’t work very well and the figure itself was hard plastic, sans moveable limbs, always stuck in that position.

    Among the other ads is one of those produced for New Jersey’s Heroes World by the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon Art, whose sloppy drawing never failed to confuse me. This one is for all sorts of Star Wars merchandise a full seventeen months after the film debuted and none of it yet keyed to Empire.

    I definitely found Cap not knowing how to submerge the flagship ridiculous — like there isn’t a relatively simple sequence of switches to flip that seal vents or whatever to render a vessel that’s obviously already pressurized able to descend below the waterline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((That should be links to scans of Pg.1 and Pg.2.))

      Delete
    2. Thanks for those scans, Blam! I've got three takeaways (besides the bit about Glut filling in for only a couple issues, as you already noted):

      1. That column was obviously written by Roy himself. I know it was practice to write things like this in the third person a lot of the time, but it's still odd. You'd think he would've broken with tradition for such a direct rebuttal, on his own behalf.

      2. Such optimism! Thomas believes he'll be back in a few issues time, he talks about plans for the "months and years" to come, and mentions the series marching toward its fiftieth issue. None of that would come to pass. INVADERS would be cancelled with issue 41, and Thomas would not write another issue before then.

      (Though he would of course return to the characters now and then in subsequent decades.)

      3. It feels so weird seeing that ad for MICRONAUTS on the second page. Again, it's because of this weird feeling I have, where, while I know when INVADERS was published, it feels like it should've been released years earlier. Even though it debuted in 1979, I think of MICRONAUTS as a 1980s title, while in my head, INVADERS feels like a late 60s/early 70s thing even though I know it's not.

      Even the entire letter page(s) feels more early/mid 70s to me. The age of the Marvel writer/editor was coming to an end around this time, and so that sort of column seems anachronistic; like something you just shouldn't be seeing in a near-1980 comic, with an ad for MICRONAUTS below it.

      Delete

    3. I don’t think Roy thought he was fooling anyone — not that you’re saying he did — but the whole third-person thing did feel particularly tortured here due to the personal nature and length of the response. Amusingly so, to me at least; I’ve always been fonder of those quirks than many.

      Since you mentioned his returning to these characters later:

      I’ve been meaning to ask why you didn’t cover What If? #4. At first I assumed you’d be tacking it on at the end, since I recall looking up the collections I think you’re using online and finding that’s where it’s placed in them, despite it being published in May 1977 a week before Invaders #20 (whose cover design it mirrors, intentionally or not), I guess because it takes place after the setting of the series proper.

      I’m so glad you’re apparently not covering the 1993 miniseries. The Dave Hoover art is just atrocious. Powering through it once for a not particularly memorable story was more than enough for me.

      Delete
    4. I do have WHAT IF #4 scheduled; it's going up last. I briefly considered posting it in release order, but ultimately decided that since it chronologically takes place after the series, and since the collected editions place it there, I would read it after everything else. Plus, I liked the idea of finishing things off with a Thomas/Robbins collaboration, even though that's not what happened in real life.

      I also considered the '93 miniseries since it's in the INVADERS CLASSIC COMPLETED COLLECTION vol. 2 trade, but after flipping through it, ultimately decided not to. I actually don't mind Dave Hoover's artwork -- I liked his run on CAPTAIN AMERICA with Mark Gruenwald from around that same time -- but I think he was all wrong on an Invaders story. Plus, the story itself just didn't appeal to me when I gave it a once-over.

      Delete

    5. I will take CapWolf over Armored Cap, that logo, and Hoover’s art seven days a week but, hey, one look at my iTunes playlists will prove there’s no accounting for taste.

      Delete
  2. This issue is the chapter of this 3-parter that I remember the least, although I remember enough to know that Next Issue blurb was at least a month premature. And I do remember that shot of the Liberty Legion all freaked in their sinking sub (who is the blond guy in that panel?).

    I always liked Namor best in this series, heroic and powerful, better than the more hostile, sometimes villainous role that he often played in other series.

    Having said that, I actually find the funny mix-up with submerging the ship at the end kind of realistic. I can picture a scenario where Namor just didn't let anyone else drive his ship, and had no interest in teaching the intricacies of the controls. Still out of character for Captain America, at least, to not take initiative to know things in the name of combat readiness and planning for contingencies. But then, one could say he was still a relative 'rookie' on this team, not the legendary strategist of Avengers fame.

    -David P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, while U-Man and Lady Lotus do technically appear next issue, they're not the main plot of the story; rather they're just cameos.

      It's been a few months now since I read the issue, but I believe the blond guy you noted is one of the U-boat's crew. The Liberty Legion were in the middle of fighting them when the ship started to sink.

      I would agree with you on Namor simply not wanting to let anyone else fly his ship, except that he explicitly teaches Bucky how to operate it, and we see Cap controlling it multiple times after Bucky leaves.

      Though I suppose it could be as simple (and humorous) as Cap asking at some point, "So how do we submerge this thing?" and Namor saying, "Ehh, you'll never need to do that. Don't worry about it."

      Delete

  3. I recall going back a page or so to look for myself and Blond Guy is indeed one of the crew. The Iron Cross is pretty explicit in not caring about their survival.

    One funny thing I forgot to mention before and went to reread now to be sure of is that Namor, clearly in a thought bubble, muses that the figure being launched at him from a torpedo tube must be the one called Iron Cross — although he doesn’t get past the first half of his name — yet in the next panel the Iron Cross while striking Namor replies aloud as if he could hear what Namor had just said to himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I noticed that too, now that you mention it, but forgot to comment on it! For some reason I always find it inordinately funny when characters react to other characters' thought balloons as if they had been spoken aloud.

      Delete