NOTE

Monday, August 8, 2022

SKULL THE SLAYER #4

"TIME OUT OF MIND!"
Together again for the fourth time!
Author: Steve Englehart | Artists: Sal Buscema & Mike Esposito
Letterer: Irving Watanabe | Colorist: Don Warfield | Editor: Marv Wolfman

The Plot: In ancient Egypt, Skull and Doctor Corey battle the Pharaoh's soldiers, determining during the fight that the men are robots -- but the heroes are overwhelmed and captured. They are brought before the Phaoaoh himself, an extraterrestrial named Slitherogue, who explains that the "Tower of Time" is a creation of his people in preparation for conquering all of Earth's historical eras. Then, to demonstrate his power, Slitehrogue kills Jeff.

Skull, Corey, and Ann spend the night in a cell, and the next morning are sent to work building the pyramids, under the watch of Slitherogue's robots. When Skull sees an opening for escape, he, Ann, and Corey race off into the desert. But Ann falls and breaks her leg. Skull declares that she must be left behind, but Corey stays to defend her. Corey and Ann are both killed, while Skull tumbles into the time portal, falling to a new level. He emerges in the quarters of Merlin the wizard and the Black Knight. After a brief skirmish with Black Knight, Skull agrees to work with Merlin to overthrow Slitherogue.

Meanwhile, Morgan Le Fay summons Slitherogue and asks his help in slaying her enemies, Merlin and King Arthur. Sensing that Skull is in this time as well, Slitherogue agrees to aid her.

Continuity Notes: As described above, the entire supporting cast is killed off here, leaving Skull the only survivor. In the early pages, Jeff has much longer hair than in any of the prior issues. I assume Sal Buscema just didn't get proper reference for him or something.

I'll let Slitherogue describe what his deal is:
So based on that, it seems that every timeframe in the Tower of Time is filled with robots, and not real people or creatures. I'm not sure if this was Marv Wolfman's original intention, but he was clearly going toward something at least a bit similar, as he had already revealed a robot dinosaur last issue. This also means that the "return of the Black Knight" blurbed on the cover isn't really true -- this is a robot version of Marvel's 1950s medeival hero; not the real thing.

My Thoughts: So -- I wasn't expecting that. When the prior issue stated that we would see "a new direction," I just figured the story would take a deviation from wherever Marv Wolfman had been sending it. And while it's true that it does (I think Wolfman had genuinely intended the Tower of Time to be a portal to different eras and not some kind of "scale model" of them), Steve Englehart walking in with hatchet in hand and a bloodthirtly glint in his eye is a bit of a surprise -- and not a welcome one.

Look, I can't say I became attached to Corey, Ann, and Jeff after a mere three issues (and honestly, I didn't really care either way when Jeff was offed early in the issue; he was such a non-entity from the start), but I don't like the idea of a new writer dumping them all so unceremoniously in his very first issue. It actually reminds me of something which would happen about twenty years later, when Warren Ellis took over from John Francis Moore as the writer of Marvel's DOOM 2099 series. Ellis came aboard and immediately killed off all of Moore's supporting characters in his first issue. It was even more egregious there due to the fact that the series had been running for a while and the cast was established. It really bothered me then (and I was happy when Ellis left the title, Moore came back, and "resurrected" all his dead characters), and it bugs me just as much here.
Mind you, I don't begrudge a writer for wanting to take things in a new direction, and sometimes that involves jettisoning characters in which the writer has no interest. But to off them all, basically at once, makes that lack of interest blatantly obvious. I'm sure there were ways Englehart could've disposed of Ann, Jeff, and Corey over the course of a few issues, and not necessarily with definitive deaths for all three. But of course, this is Englehart's only issue of SKULL, suggesting that perhaps it's not just the characters he was uninterested in, but the very concept itself -- which begs the question of why he took the assignment in the first place!

Anyway, series creator Wolfman edited the issue, so on some level he must have been okay with Englehart's bloody deck-clearing, even if I'm not okay with it nearly forty years later. Next issue, Skull's third (and final) writer comes aboard to see us through to the end. (And by the way, I'm fully aware this could be undone by the incoming Bill Mantlo, but it certainly doesn't read as if Englehart plans it to be anything other than permanent as of this installment. I guess we'll find out what happens soon enough, though.)

11 comments:

  1. I’ve read that Englehart did not care about these characters or enjoy working on the title. He requested to be taken off the book as soon as another comic opportunity became available, which was almost immediately when he got to jump to Super Villain Team-Up.
    Why would he take the assignment? I would assume either he needed some extra money and Skull was the only book available, or his contract stipulated that he got to write a certain number of books each month, so Marvel editorial gave him the assignment.

    I have also read speculation that Wolfman, as editor, was displeased when he saw that Englehart changed his entire premise and decided to get Englehart off the book after he saw the finished story. Then, he brought Bill Mantlo onboard to fix Englehart’s changes and put the book back closer to what Wolfman wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point; I sometimes fail to take into consideration that little constant of freelancers needing money weighed against whatever assignments might have been available to them!

      In any case, it's likely not too much of a spoiler to disclose that next issue, Mantlo basically undoes everything Englehart did here, including bringing back the dead characters!

      Delete
  2. Supporting casts getting mowed down in a hurry is a classic comics thing. I remember in the 80s Marvel was publishing Red Sonja, and my best friend was reading it. Fun little mid list sword and sorcery title, but it had a revolving door creative team (and yes, Bill Mantlo was one of the writers) and I have a distinct memory of someone taking over the book-and slaughtering the supporting cast in ONE PAGE. Sometimes that's the most expedient way to do it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I suppose this sort of thing isn't uncommon, but it always rubs me the wrong way. There are more respectful ways to jettison characters you don't feel like using!

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, it's inexcusably lazy to me. I suspect it happened a lot when a writer got a book thrown at them that they had no idea what to do with it, and they wanted to create an instant blank slate. That or the book got a new editor and THEY wanted a blank slate. It always struck me as a way to drive off readers too-my friend dropped Red Sonja that issue-but yet it happened all the time!

      Delete
    3. Yes, in the case of DOOM 2099 as mentioned in the post above, I seriously considered dropping the title when Ellis came aboard and offed the entire supporting cast. But I think I hoped it would be a fakeout or something, so I held on for a little while and before I knew it, Doom had become the president of the 2099 United States and was involved in a linewide crossover, so I simply had to keep reading!

      I did miss Moore's supporting characters the entire time, though. Like I said, I was happy when he returned to wrap up the series and brought them all back.

      It's funny, because I think that one run sort of soured me on Warren Ellis. I really did like his EXCALIBUR run, but I'm hard-pressed to think of anything else I've read by him that I particularly enjoyed. Though I think that's in large part due to the fact that came onto two series I was really enjoying, and blew them both up immediately -- DOOM, which he took over from Jon Francis Moore, and THUNDERBOLTS, which he took from Fabian Nicieza. In both cases he changed directions immediately, and went very dark. And in the case of T-BOLTS, I actually did drop it shortly after Ellis took over.

      (And I know you're a huge fan of Ellis, Jack, but I think I just don't mesh well with his sensibilities. Though I also don't think I've ever read any non-Marvel stuff from him.)

      Delete
    4. Well I'm no longer an Ellis fan given that he turned out to be a first rate creep, so feel free to go off on him! Though I do agree that his Thunderbolts run was extremely underwhelming, but then, that was the period where I started souring on Marvel, so pretty much everything was underwhelming then.

      Delete



  3. Oh, Jim Scully… Hero? What a laugh! You got your own comic-book series,  fella, but that don’t change your luck. Rotten in ’Nam. Rotten when you got back home. Rotten in this forsaken land. Other folks meet Spider-Man a few issues along to goose interest. Jim Scully, old “Skull the Slayer” himself, meets The Black Knight. And you’ll take it. Won’t you, hero? You’ll take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blam, I had a giggle-fit reading this the other night. It's perfect!

      Delete

  4. I have no idea why getting possessed by the ghost of Marv Wolfman’s prose came with several empty line breaks. Sorry.

    // Skull tumbles into the time portal, falling to a new level. //

    He did that already when he left Ann behind…

    While a writer is free to make up whatever rules for time travel and the like he/she/they cares to, Slitherouge’s murder of Jeff doesn’t prove his point about history being mutable. Jeff’s life coming to an end wouldn’t mean, as the villain suggests, that he’s never born or never exists in the normal flow of reality he experienced since birth prior to these events. Now, Slitherogue’s plan to conquer Earth by invading at various points throughout history — which seems to me a lot of redundant effort but, hey, they’re just trying to keep their robots busy… I think? — could make it so that Jeff is never born in a new timeline writing over what had been; in that case, this Jeff who already existed would either then vanish without needing to be killed or still exist as a remnant of the old timeline possessed of his subjective memories and lifespan. Unless there’s more to Englehart’s vision of how time travel and the like works in this story that he didn’t have properly exposited, of course.

    I got a smile out of the Black Knight sitting at the supper table, helmet on, with a goblet and bowl of fruit in front of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right; I wasn't quite sure what Slitherogue/Englehart was trying to get at with his speech when he killed Jeff. If I get hit by a truck today, it doesn't mean I never existed! I do like to imagine that he would've further fleshed this out had he continued on the title, but it's probably best for all concerned that he exited after this one issue.

      That Black Knight scene reminds me of a scene in the 1980s G.I. JOE cartoon, where Cobra Commander is sitting at a banquet table, apparently eating a huge turkey leg and drinking from a goblet... with his full face-covering metal mask on. (I mean, we don't actually see him take a bite or a sip, but why else would he be holding those things??)

      Delete