NOTE

Monday, February 5, 2018

WONDER WOMAN #1 & #2

“THE PRINCESS AND THE POWER!” | “A FIRE IN THE SKY!”
Pencils/Plotter: George Pérez | Script/Co-Plotter: Greg Potter
Inks: Bruce Patterson | Letters: John Costanza | Colors: Tatjana Wood
Editor: Karen Berger

The Plot: (Issue 1) The history of the Amazons is recapped as they are created on Earth by a group of Greek goddesses collectively calling themselves the Midwives. Some time later, Heracles is tricked by Ares into raiding the Amazons’ city of Themyscira, where he brutalizes and pillages them before moving on. Later, the Amazons are relocated to an island paradise, where their princess, Diana, is born. When the time comes for the Amazons to send an envoy into the world of man to save it from Ares, a tournament is held. Diana enters and wins, against the wishes of her mother, Hippolyte.

(Issue 2) Air Force pilot Steve Trevor is assigned a midnight mission to fly a stealth jet to an isolated location above the sea. Meanwhile, Diana is armed with a golden lasso forged by Hephaestus and then is taken by Hermes on a quest for clues to Ares’ location. She returns just as Trevor arrives at Paradise Island, where his co-pilot, Captain Slade, drops a bomb. Diana saves the island and the jet crashes into the ocean. Diana pulls Steve from the wreckage and, at the order of Athena, returns to man’s world with him. Meanwhile, Trevor’s commanding officer, General Kohler, is found dead in his office — both he and the deceased Slade having been agents of Ares.

Sub-Plots & Continuity Notes: Obviously these issues feature the post-CRISIS debut of Wonder Woman, though she hasn’t acquired that moniker yet. Also making their post-CRISIS debuts are a bunch of gods and goddesses, plus Colonel Steve Trevor and his adjutant, Lieutenant Etta Candy. We meet a few other characters on Steve’s Air Force base, though I’m unsure if they had pre-CRISIS versions.


Hermes takes Diana to meet with a babbling woman named Harmonia, who provides the Amazon princess with a magical talisman.

My Thoughts: Wow, I had no idea how closely the plot of last year’s WONDER WOMAN movie followed these early post-CRISIS stories! I mean, obviously there are massive differences, too — but in terms of the broad idea of Wonder Woman leaving Paradise Island to hunt down Ares… I just figured that was just a premise created for the film.


(This is the point where I note that I know virtually nothing about post-CRISIS Wonder Woman outside of the JUSTICE LEAGUE animated series, and what I know of the pre-CRISIS version is based pretty much solely on SUPER FRIENDS, Lynda Carter, and a read-along tape/storybook I had as a child.)

I also finally understand why Wonder Woman goes off on Marvel’s Hercules, attacking him in a blind rage, during the Kurt Busiek/George Pérez JLA/AVENGERS miniseries, which is nice. I mean, obviously that tale included a bare description of something having happened between Hercules and Hippolyte, but I never knew the full details until now, nor was I aware that the inciting event had occurred in Pérez’s own WONDER WOMAN stories!


Also, a minor side note, but I had no idea that Karen “Vertigo” Berger ever edited any mainstream comic books. I guess I always just figured she appeared at DC’s offices one day with the Vertigo imprint in her pocket, and that was that.

But as for these issues themselves — I have to say, so far I’m not all that impressed. The entire first issue is the backstory of the Amazons, which just isn’t very interesting to me. It’s beautifully drawn, mind you — just boring. I felt like I was reading a history textbook. The second issue, at least, gives us some action featuring the not-yet-named Wonder Woman in costume, and demonstrates her power levels. And again, as someone who grew up on SUPER FRIENDS and Lynda Carter, the idea of Wonder Woman flying, even though she flew regularly in the JUSTICE LEAGUE show, is still kind of weird to me. I’m not complaining; I really feel that Wonder Woman should more-or-less be Superman’s equal, and flight is a large part of that, but I’m still just not entirely used to the concept. I guess it’s hard to entirely shake off childhood conditioning.

Anyway — for whatever reason, these first two chapters are the only ones in the series scripted and co-plotted by Greg Potter. I’m not sure who he is — I don’t think I’ve ever read another comic written by the guy — but I can only hope that it’s his influence which makes this a less enjoyable experience for me. Beginning next time, George Pérez plots solo, with Len Wein acting only as scripter, and I hope to see things pick up a bit.

Next Week: Wonder Woman's saga continues with her journey to man's world in issues 3 and 4.

14 comments:

  1. Yeah, Berger started out as editor on the horror anthology comic House of Mystery. She edited some other mainstream comics, like Amethyst also.
    I'm not sure if you're counting it or not, but she really made her name taking over editing duties on Alan Moore's Swamp Thing....which, while now considered a Vertigo comic, was published long before there was a Vertigo imprint.

    Greg Potter wrote a minor DC comic called Jemm, Son of Saturn, which lovely Gene Colan artwork. That's about all he was famous for, other than these few issues of Wonder Woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info on Karen Berger and Greg Potter! I'm always a little fascinated by these types like Potter, who apparently broke into comics only to write a handful of comics before fading into obscurity.

      Delete
  2. I recently re-read Perez's first arc for a comics podcast, and while I like Perez's art a ton, that first issue is way too dry and reads like a Wizard issue 0 or "Tales of the Titans" info-dump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Dobson -- the first issue does feel like it should've been a backup story or an annual or something. I mean, history has obviously been kind to this run, so there's really no cause to second-guess it, but I do feel like they could've done a better job on the first installment -- maybe started en media res with Diana already as Wonder Woman, and then gone back to fill in the history in a later story.

      Delete
  3. Berger was a general DC line editor, but by 1986 she was also pretty much the UK talent editor, and was bringing over the generation that followed Alan Moore like Jamie Delano, Grant Morrison, and a fellow by the name of Neil Gaiman. In fact, my reaction to hearing she was the editor here is the opposite of yours: though it wasn't really until 1988 or so that we got Sandman and Doom Patrol and all of the books that evolved into Vertigo in 1992 or so, I was surprised she was still editing "normal" super books. Funny thing, that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack. Y'know, I've never thought of Jamie Delano in the same breath as Moore and Morrison, but I guess that's because all I really know him for are "those Captain Britain issues that came before Alan Moore's run". But people certainly seem to like John Constantine.

      Delete
    2. I don't think he's up to their level either, but he was part of that wave that came over after Moore, and got going here around the same time as Morrison and Gaiman, so he warrants the mention.

      Delete
    3. Jamie Delano is a very good writer. He just never caught on in the same way as the other big British names.
      His Hellblazer run certainly tanks near anything from Moore, Gaiman, or Morrison.
      He didn't do a lot of comic book writing. Maybe if he had written more comics, his name would rank alongside the other three.

      Delete
  4. Guess I'm in the minority in liking it. I was unable to get the actual issue, so I got a DC ANNIVERSARY reprint.
    Unlike Supes and Batman, WW went through some changes. Her hairstyle became Greco-curly, her blue bracelets became silver, and the boots lost the high heels. She is portrayed as being younger, like say 19 (making her a little younger than Donna!). Hippolyta regained her Earth-2 dark hair. And the Island is now referred to as Themiscyra. I didn't learn the prononciation until JUSTICE LEAGUE. I remember at a trivia game at a tavern, the announcer asked the question identifying this heroine who came from Themiscyra, but she couldn't pronounce it. So I persuaded her to change the name to Paradise Island. Boy, I could see the light bulbs appearing at the other tables!
    The Gods also changed. The Pre-crisis was scattered in their naming the Olympian Gods by both Greek and Roman (Aphrodite, Mars, Mercury). The Post-Crisis went with all the Greek names.
    I was going to bring up the WW/Marvel Herc meeting in JLA/Av! John Byrne once wrote that any request for a XENA/WW x-over to him could not go beyond the repartee of "Hey, Xena, I heard you're friends with Hercules, the guy who raped my mom." (Although it must be noted that Herc's relationship with Polly in THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS and Marvel were nothing like DC). It's a faithful rendition to the original Pre-Crisis story, where Polly bested Herc, Herc seduces her, although the original had Herc tricking Polly into surrendering her magic girdle (source of power) to him, then instantly conquering and enslaving the Amazons (although the original story avoids any sight of rape, one can read between the lines that the Greek captors' intentions for these chained Amazons was not exclusively 'Do the dishes and make me a sandwich!').
    I don't think the reboot makes any comment about the reason for the bracelets; in the original story, Aphrodite freed the Amazons with the punishment that they wear their chain cuffs as a lesson to the consequence of surrendering to Man. The pre-crisis Wonder Woman suffered the weakness of losing her powers if she allowed a man to bind her bracelets together.
    Note near the end of issue 1 the comment about the predecessor of the wardrobe she is about to wear. At first glance its a hint to the previous WW. More on that later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Wonder Woman definitely does seem younger than her pre-CRISIS counterpart. And FYI, for the most part I will be using the name "Paradise Island" in these reviews since it's way easier to type than Themyscira.

      They do note in issue 1 that the Amazons wear their bracelets as a reminder of what Heracles did to them (or something to that effect, at least). I probably should've mentioned it as a continuity note above!

      If I recall correctly, I believe Hippolyte is the World War II/Justice Society Wonder Woman in the post-CRISIS continuity, isn't she? I think I read that John Byrne did something with her in that role during his run, at least, but I've never read those issues either. Does her time in the costume come up during the Perez run first?

      Delete
  5. And Steve Trevor gets older. Don't worry; although there will be a special connection between the two (and jealousy from Steve's new romantic partner), Steviana (or Dieve) is completely eliminated from the new continuity.

    It appears a lot of people would rather do that. A WIZARD side-note tries to do a pronounciation of Themyscira, before giving up and 'Just call it Paradise Island.'

    My mistake on the mention.

    Polly as Golden Age WW only comes up when Byrne takes over. It was an act of penance for actions involving her daughter and the descendants of Antiope (Polly's sis who abandoned the amazons after the rising in #1). It has no connection to that mysterious predecessor. Perez's run WILL attend to that question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought having Polly serve as the WWII-era Wonder Woman alongside the Justice Society was one of the better ways that DC had their post-Crisis/pre-Crisis cake and ate it too.

      Delete
    2. Y'know, I thought Steve looked older here than the pre-CRISIS version, but then I figured maybe it was just Perez's style. I had no idea he did away with the Diana/Steve romance, but it's probably just as well. I'm all for monogamous relationships, but for me at least, they get boring after a while in comics and begin to feel like the characters are stuck in a rut.

      (Notable exceptions in my opinion are couples like Mister Fantastic and the Invisible Woman or Ant-Man and the Wasp, who were presented as such from their very first appearances.)

      Delete
  6. I agree in the sense that it was a good idea; I just can't think around a JSA without a Wonder Woman. JLA maybe, but not JSA.

    ReplyDelete